Archive

Posts Tagged ‘Brigham Young University’

Church History Today – December 27th

December 27th, 2009 No comments

December 27, 1955 – A letter from the Presiding Bishopric announced that students at BYU would be organized into campus wards and stakes beginning Jan. 8, 1956. This move set the pattern for student wards to be organized at Church colleges and institutes of religion wherever their numbers warranted it.

Church History – November

November 20th, 2009 No comments

November 1947 – Some 75 tons of potatoes, raised and donated by Dutch members, were delivered to needy families in Germany. A year later, the German Saints harvested their own crop of potatoes.

November 1961 – A Language Training Institute was established at Brigham Young University for missionaries called to foreign countries. In 1963, it became the Language Training Mission.

November 1972 – The MIA was realigned into the Aaronic Priesthood and Melchizedek Priesthood MIA and was placed directly under priesthood leadership.

Church History Today – October 6th

October 6th, 2009 No comments

October 6, 1890 – The “Manifesto” was unanimously accepted by vote in general conference. This marked the begtinning of reconciliation between the Church and the United States, which effectively paved the way to statehood for Utah a little more than five years later.

October 6, 1939 – The First Presidency message on world peace was delivered in general conference by President Heber J. Grant.

October 6, 1952 – A letter from the Presiding Bishopric introduced a new Senior Aaronic Priesthood program, with men over 21 years of age organized into separate Aaronic Priesthood quorums. Subsequently, special weekday classes were encouraged in each stake to prepare these brethren for the Melchizedek Priesthood and temple ordinances.

October 6-11, 1975 – Brigham Young University observed its 100th anniversary during homecoming week.