Archive

Posts Tagged ‘scriptures’

Church History Today – October 3rd

October 3rd, 2009 No comments

October 3, 1918 – While contemplating the meaning of Christ’s atonement, President Joseph F. Smith received a manifestation on the salvation of the dead and the visit of the Savior to the spirit world after His crucifixion. A report of the experience was published in December and was added first to the Pearl of Great Price and then to the Doctrine and Covenants June 6, 1979, as Section 138.

October 3, 1924 – Radio broadcast of general conference began on KSL in Salt Lake City, the Church-owned station. Coverage was expanded into Idaho in 1941.

October 3, 1956 – The new Relief Society Building in Salt Lake City was dedicated.

October 3, 1974 – Seventies quorums were authorized in all stakes and all quorums in the Church were renamed after the stake.

October 3, 1975 – President Kimball announced in general conference the organization of the First Quorum of the Seventy, and the first three members of the quorum were sustained.

October 3, 1981 – A network of 500 satellite dishes for stake centers outside Utah was announced.

October 3, 1982 – Elder Boyd K. Packer of the Quorum of the Twelve and a member of the Scriptures Publication Committee announced that a subtitle was being added to the Book of Mormon: “Another Witness of Jesus Christ.”

Church History Today – September 29th

September 29th, 2009 No comments

September 29, 1967 – The new administrative position of regional representative of the Twelve was announced, and the first 69 regional representatives were called and given their initial training.

September 29, 1979 – A new 2,400-page edition of the King James version of the Bible, with many special features, including a topical guide, a Bible dictionary, and a revolutionary footnote system, was published by the Church.

Church History May

May 7th, 2009 No comments

May, 1947 – The vast project of revising early scripture translations and translating the scriptures into additional languages was begun by the Church offices.